Four-Time Olympic Medalist
A native of Ottawa, Kristina started skating when she was 11 because she wanted to distinguish herself from her ski-crazed family. Good news for Canada.
Twenty-years later, in 2007-08, she produced a season to remember collecting 18 World Cup medals culminating in her first overall title (1500m), a World Allround Championship bronze medal, and an historic five-medal performance at the World Single Distance Championships including gold in the 3000m.
In 2008-2009, Kristina continued her success on the ice, winning her second overall title in the 1500m and producing a three-medal performance at the World Single Distance Championship and Olympic test event at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
At the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, Kristina carried a heavy load competing in five events, capturing a silver and a bronze medal to add to the Olympic silver medal in the women's 1500m and Team Pursuit event at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Torino Italy.
Outside of skating Kristina is passionate about supporting Right To Play. "Right To Play gives me a unique opportunity to use whatever success I have as an athlete to promote the values of sport and most importantly, to try and bring peace to children in communities where war, conflict or famine have torn families apart," said Kristina.
As an active environmentalist, Kristina is also committed to limiting her footprint on the earth and donates her time and money to the Clean-Air Champions Campaign.
An accomplished public speaker and mentor, Kristina visits several elementary schools each year with the Youth Education through Sport program (YES).
- 2010 Olympic Silver Medalist - Speed Skating, 1500m
- 2010 Olympic Bronze Medalist - Speed Skating, 3000m
- 2006 Olympic Double Silver Medalist - 1500m and Team Pursuit
- 2009 World Allround Championship Silver Medalist
- 2008-09 World Cup Overall Champion - 1500m
- 2008 World Champion - 3000m
- Historic five-medal performance at 2008 World Championships
- 2007-08 World Cup Overall Champion - 1500m
- 2006 World Allround Championships Bronze Medalist
- 2005 World Single Distances Championships Bronze Medalist - 3000m